Shakib Al Hasan has made a public apology and appealed to the Bangladesh Cricket Board to reconsider a six-month suspension that was handed to him earlier this month. The allrounder met with BCB's acting CEO Nizamuddin Chowdhury in Mirpur on Sunday and submitted a plea to the board.
Shakib was suspended on July 7 because of his "serious misbehaviour" with Bangladesh's new coach Chandika Hathurusingha, and for his altercation with a spectator during the recent first ODI against India in Mirpur.
"I am expressing my sincerest apologies if my behaviour has embarrassed the BCB, the Bangladesh cricket team and our fans," Shakib read from a prepared statement. "I accept that as a professional and contracted cricketer, I haven't behaved in a disciplined and restrained manner in several cases. In the future, I am determined to behave with more restraint.
"I respect the board's decision, but there is nothing more painful than staying away from cricket. It is my life and I have worn Bangladesh's colours and BCB's logo since the Under-15 days. It is my pride. The Bangladesh team is above everything. I give my all when I play for them, and I would do so in the future. I have grown up with Bangladesh cricket, and I have an emotional connection with it. From that position, I am requesting the BCB to reconsider my suspension."
Nizamuddin confirmed he had received the appeal and said he would forward it to the BCB directors. The directors can either meet to further consider Shakib's plea, or the BCB president Nazmul Hassan can take a decision and have it ratified by the board in the next meeting.
"Shakib has submitted a prayer to reconsider the July 7 sanction made by the board of directors. Since this is a board decision, they will decide on it," he said.
Shakib has been involved in several disputes in the recent past. He had left for the Caribbean to play in the CPL without a valid NOC, and reportedly threatened to quit playing Tests and Twenty20 internationals when asked by Hathurusingha to return and join a training camp. He was ordered to return to Bangladesh by the board, and later denied threatening to quit and said that his departure for the CPL was a result of a misunderstanding over the NOC.